JOB OPENING: Mother’s Day Walk for Peace Volunteer Coordinator
The Mother's Day Walk for Peace started in 1996 so mothers of murdered children could receive support and love from their neighbors. Twenty-two years later, the Mother’s Day Walk continues to be a powerful way to honor our loved ones who have been murdered and embrace our shared responsibility to create more peaceful communities. The Mother’s Day Walk for Peace is a celebration of our potential to create more peaceful communities. Every year families from across the state and region walk together toward peace. The walk draws a crowd of 15,000 people every year on Mother’s Day to walk the seven miles from Town Field Park in Dorchester to City Hall in Downtown Boston.
Volunteers are key to the success of the Mother’s Day Walk for Peace. We need volunteers in the days leading up to as well as on the day of the walk. We have roles for individuals as well as groups. We recognize the importance of volunteers to the walk and that it is critical to plan ongoing volunteer management and support. We are seeking a volunteer coordinator to be the main point of contact for our Mother’s Day Walk for Peace Volunteers in order to orient, train, and to make them feel satisfied that they are making an important contribution. The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with a team of event planners, organizers, and Peace Institute staff.
Reports to: Interim Executive Director
Timeframe of contract: March 12th – May 31st 2018
- Recruitment and selection
- Working out how many volunteers are needed and for what roles.
- Develop position descriptions for each role.
- Develop a plan for recruitment of volunteers and implement.
- Match the skills, experiences and expectations of volunteers to available positions.
- Participate in volunteer outreach events, which will include some evenings and weekends
- Orientation/ Training
- Develop an orientation kit.
- Coordinate the orientation session(s) and provide training.
- Developing ways to recognize and reward volunteer efforts.
- Help volunteers feel welcomed and supported.
- Delegating tasks leading up to and on the day of the walk.
- Maintain communication with volunteers leading up to the walk.
- Update volunteer coordination plan and volunteer database.
How to Apply: Send a letter of interest, resume, and references to Rachel@ldbpeaceinstitute.org.
Please use VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR as the subject of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed.